Disclaimer: I am a Beachbody coach and if you purchase through one of my product affiliate links in this post, I will earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products I love, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
PiYo Workout Review: pilates + Yoga fusion
When I first heard about the PiYo workout, I decided to try it out and give my review of this well-known Pilates and Yoga combination exercise program from Beachbody.
The PiYo workout package shipped to my doorstep, and I popped the DVD into the player to start my first workout. By the time I hit minute 10 into the workout, I was sweating and my legs had turned into jelly. My butt got handed to me!
But suffice it to say, I struggled, pushed, and modified as best as I can to keep up with these intense workouts.
As I began to explore the other workouts, for the FIRST TIME EVER, I was excited to actually do the exercise. Even though my body was sore, sweating profusely, and swearing at the top of my lungs, I just needed to pop in the DVD and see Chalene Johnson smiling ever so sweetly back at me. I actually LIKED doing this. (It’s a miracle!)
PiYo workout review Before and After results
I lost 4lbs in ONE WEEK! I felt more flexible, and less sore in my muscles.
After 90 days, I lost a total of 10 lbs and 4.5″ in my waist, and saw muscle definition in my arms, legs, and abs (not to mention I now can do a push-up without really breaking a sweat!).
Just look at the changes in my PiYo before and after pictures!
So for the complete PiYo workout review experience, here is a bit more information about this program:
What is PiYo?
Watch this video to see what PiYo entails
PiYo is a combination of the very best of Pilates with the calming and meditative influence of Yoga, cranked up to speed to give you full-throttle cardio, strength and flexibility training all at once.
Developed by BeachBody superstar Chalene Johnson, PiYo packs everything you would want in a workout into one so you can build lean muscle mass while burning a TON of calories.
Why is PiYo so effective?
PiYo delivers the muscle-sculpting, core-focused benefits of Pilates along with the flexibility and power of yoga. PiYo’s low-impact compound exercises engage multiple muscle groups at the same time—while keeping your body in constant motion.
As you progress from one fluid movement to the next without rest, you’ll maintain an optimal heart rate to incinerate calories throughout the whole workout! The result? You get a low-impact, high-intensity, total-body workout, giving you a physique that’s long, lean, and powerfully defined.
In the end, you’ll get sleek, long arms, flat abs, a tighter, lifted butt, and the confidence that comes from knowing you’re at your best!
PiYo is for you if YOU….
- want to lose weight
- want to build lean muscle without bulking
- are a fitness beginner
- a fitness enthusiast
- love the benefits of yoga, but need that extra cardio
- want to get the results of a more extreme program without jumps, weights, or straining joints
- want a program that does not require a lot of equipment
Why PiYo workouts?
I tried many types of workouts, ranging from long-distance running to weight-lifting, and I did not really enjoy myself; I was tired, my muscles were very sore, or I felt I was drawing closer to asthmatic spasms with every wobbly running step forward. I just hate it. And to me, it makes no sense to do something every day if I HATE it.
I needed to exercise, but I also needed to enjoy it too, and PiYo helps me accomplish 3 things:
- It’s low impact so I won’t have to jump around or strain my joints
- It’s high intensity so I can get full cardio of a more extreme program without beating up my body
- It’s designed to help you get an intensely defined, long, and lean physique.
What equipment do I need?
Very simple: you need a yoga mat, towel, and water. That’s it.
What if I already have an exercise routine?
PiYo can either be a stand-alone workout, or it can be a supplement to other workouts in your regimen. Runners actually use PiYo as additional strength and cardiovascular endurance training, helping them run faster times with less fatigue.
In fact, one of my personal customers and long time college friend is using PiYo to strength train for a Spartan run she is doing within 2 months time.
Everyone can use PiYo for their own reasons; for some, like myself, PiYo is a stand-alone workout experience that doesn’t require me to beat up my body. For others, PiYo can be added to an already existing routine to help further define, strengthen, and build endurance to their bodies.
How long will these workouts last for?
PiYo is a 7-day workout routine, with 1 rest day. My favorite thing about PiYo is how short the workouts actually are. Each workout ranges from 25 minutes to 45 minutes at the maximum, so I am definitely never bored.
So, what does the PiYo kit look like?
The PiYo kit has a lot of material to get started right, including the following:
- 8 workouts on 3 DVDs (25–45 minutes each)
- Quick Start Guide to get Lean Eating Plan to make clean eating fit into your lifestyle
- 60-Day Workout Calendar shows you what workouts to do when
- FREE bonus workout—Hardcore on the Floor ($19.95 value)
- Tape-Measure to record your body measurements 🙂
What types of workouts does PiYo have?
There are 8 PiYo-centric workouts which include Upper Body, Lower Body, Sweat, Core, Strength Intervals, Drench, Sculpt, and Drench, as well as bonus Turbofire HIIT 20 and HardCore on the Floor workout. Below is a more detailed description of each essential workout.
- Align: The Fundamentals This workout breaks down the most important and effective moves in the program to help you perfect your form and get the best results possible.
- Define: Upper Body Get your sleekest and leanest legs ever as you lengthen and strengthen your entire lower body—from your glutes and hamstrings to your calves.
- Define: Upper Body Use this incredibly effective workout to start chiseling away at your upper body to help shape your arms, carve out your triceps, and define sexy shoulders.
- Sweat A traditional PiYo workout that incorporates effective dynamic conditioning, fast-paced cardio yoga-flows, and bodyweight resistance strength training to help sculpt your entire body.
- Core This ab-centric workout hits your powerhouse from every angle to build a strong core, flat, sculpted abs and obliques, as well as a strong and sexy back.
- Strength Intervals Twenty-five minutes is all you need of this nonstop body-carving, calorie-incinerating workout that uses no weights, no equipment, and gives you no bulk.
- Drench This endurance workout maximizes fat burning while it works every muscle in your body. It will not only leave you drenched—it will kick-start your metabolism as you scorch away the fat.
- Sculpt This workout uses varying tempos to keep your muscles under tension for different periods of time. This generates muscular endurance and metabolic changes that will totally transform your figure.
- Buns Focused on the glutes, this workout is designed to lift, redefine, and tighten the entire backside of your body for the perfect tight and round butt.
- TurboFire HIIT 20 Chalene pushes you to the limit with this intense throwback.
Is there a PiYo Challenge pack?
Yes there is! You can combine your workouts with Shakeology with a PiYo challenge pack. Separately, each item adds up to almost $200. But when combined in a challenge pack, PiYo and Shakeology total to $160.
PiYo workout review result?
In conclusion, if you are looking for an intense workout that easy on your joints, that you can do as a stand-alone or supplement another workout, PiYo is the way to go!
And finally, the above weight-loss results were made possible by a combination of PiYo and Shakeology, a nutritious superfood beverage that complements the PiYo workouts.
What are your thoughts about my PiYo workout review? Have you tried it before? Share and comment below!